Saturday, April 7, 2012

when people around you won’t change…

we’re going to continue in our series as we go through the LORD’s prayer.  GOD says the key to peace is prayer.  in philippians 4 HE says, don’t worry about anything. instead pray about everything… and GOD’s peace …will rule your hearts and minds as you live in CHRIST JESUS.

so GOD says the more you pray the more peace you have.  the less you pray the less peace you’ll have.  you can either worry or pray as you go through life.

the truth is it’s really quite easy to lose your internal peace.  one minute everything’s cool.  you’re kicked back, laid back and it feels good and you’re in serenity.  and the next minute you get a phone call and you’re stressed out.  it’s very easy to lose your peace. 

now as i said we are going through the LORD’s prayer, the prayer that JESUS gave us as an example; we’re going through it phrase by phrase.  and we see that matthew 6.10 (gnt), may YOUr kingdom come, may YOUr will be done on earth as it is in heaven, shows us what to pray in different situations.

one of these situations is when people around you won’t change (they’re unchangeable), then i surrender to GOD’s controli accept what YOU, GOD want to do with me because YOU’re in control. 

now we don’t like this word “surrender”.  surrender means raising the white flag.  surrender means giving up, forfeiting the game, saying, “i’ve lost.  you’ve won.” 

sometimes you and i think we know better.  and sometimes you say, “i know there are some verses in the bible but i want to ignore those because they don’t fit my agenda.  i know what GOD says here but i’m just going to pretend that verse just isn’t in the bible.  i’m going to ignore it and do what i want to do.  i’m going to make up my own rules.” 

and when we do this we always use the same phrase “but GOD wants me to be happy.”

anytime you hear somebody say that – “but GOD wants me to be happy” – it means that they’re probably justifying something the bible says don’t do.  almost inevitably they’re going to be justifying, rationalizing in their mind what god says not to do.  and you know what rationalize is...  rational lies.  rationalize means i tell with my head what my heart says is wrong, what i know in my heart is wrong. 

just a thought from the front porch…

2 comments:

Rum-Punch Drunk said...

Oh yes, I definitely know what you are talking about here. Every time I feel like all is going not just well, but brilliant, it only takes a phone call, door knock, text to let 'all hell loose' so to speak. Every time I get too relaxed, I know something bad is going to creep in and take my joy.

Bill, I'm listening, even though I may not comment all the time.

Bill Williams said...

thanks.